December 07, 2010

I never expected to write a movie review

I never expected to write a movie review on my blog (in fact, I have NEVER written a movie review anywhere), but I watched a movie on DVD a few nights ago that I feel deserves a review. The movie is called ‘Hachi: A Dog’s Tale’.

I am so, so glad that I never watched this movie in a movie theater. And it's not because I’m not willing to spend $10 or so to watch a movie at the theater; it’s because this movie left me feeling like an emotional wreak! Now I am known to cry at movies probably as much (or a little more) as any other woman, but movies that center around animals usually get to me the most. I read one sentence on the DVD jacket and said to my husband, “I’ll bet this movie is going to make me cry”. That was an understatement.

This movie is rated ‘G’ and it really is a simple story. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it, but it is based on a true story that took place in Japan almost a century ago. This is the American version of the story, and it was done very well. It is about a dog, his owner and the loyalty between them. The movie was done in such a way that it is so hard not to be overcome with emotion. Not only was I crying during the last 30 minutes or so, but for another 30 minutes afterwards. I looked at my eyes in the mirror and I looked as if I had just finished chopping a few onions. It is one of those movies that you will find yourself thinking about afterwards. And if you are an animal lover, it may make you wonder about the emotions of your pets (and in my case, my own emotions).

Well, this turned out to be more of a review of my reaction to the movie than the movie itself! I didn’t want to spoil it for people who haven’t seen it yet. And if you do decide to watch it, make sure you have plenty of tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment